Big Boy Productions: Reloaded

Saturday, October 27, 2001

System Launches
Yeah, I'm a game nerd. I heartily admit it. I love system launches, now that I bring it up. I didn't participate in the PS2 launch insanity at all, because to be frank, there weren't any good launch games for it... everything was mediocre at best.

Hrm, actually, I've only gotten two systems at launch. I got my Nintendo 64 on Friday, September 27th, two days before the actual launch (but one must remember that every store was selling 'em early)... and boy, do I remember everyone wanting to come and see it. The N64 was so freaking rare, I was one of the few, the proud to have one before XMas. I'll never forget the awe I was in to finally have an "Ultra 64" (boy, that name really sucked) in my own home, playing the glorious Mario 64.

I also got my Sega Dreamcast on opening day. The Dreamcast is the only game system to be mine, mine, mine. It launched on September 9th, 1999, and my birthday was a mere six days prior, so I put my b-day present toward the big DC. While I worked in school, my mom went out to Best Buy and picked up the DC, Soul Calibur, Ready 2 Rumble, a second controller, and a VMU. This was the point when everyone doubted whether or not Sega could come back from the Saturn debacle. Even though Sega executed, people just didn't buy and the DC suffered a really pathetic death that should shame hardcore gamers worldwide... a great system shunned. Anyhow, I remember bringing Dreamcast disbeliever Eric Langston over to my house that launch day. When Soul Calibur booted up and we first played that game in action, my jaw dropped, as did his. He only uttered the words, "I must get one." Christmas 1999 saw a Dreamcast enter his house. So I guess I've only been involved in two system launches, but they were way l33t.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home