Big Boy Productions: Reloaded

Friday, November 09, 2001

Roger, Rogue Leader!
Well, Best Buy finally got in their two demo kiosks today for GameCube and Xbox. All I can say is, it's about time! I've been eager to actually play a GameCube for sometime now, and finally, my chance has arrived. The GameCube was, of course, running Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader. This game will sell GameCubes. No question about it, this is some incredible shit. People were stopping, mouths ajar in Best Buy at the graphics... if you were a decent distance away, you could swear it was one of the original movies.

However, plugs for graphics aside, let's talk the GCN controller. I'm sure many of you are familiar with the GameCube's questionable design for the controller. Question nothing. This is a fantastic controller. First off, it's a bit tiny, but boy, is it ever comfortable. The thing literally just melts into your hand. This is the most comfortable controller availible. Dreamcast a close second, PS2 third, Xbox dead last. The button layout is fantastic. Having never held a GameCube controller in my hand, I instantly knew the button layout. The big-ass A button fired my shots, the two kidney-bean shaped X and Y buttons changed views, and the little red B button was secondary fire. The L and R buttons have a unique little quirk about them too. The Dreamcast's L and R buttons were hinged--they swung downward, but only from the back part of the button. On the GCN controller, the whole button pushes down... the harder your push, the faster your ship goes (or the faster it slows down) until you reach the 'click' point. When you push down the button all the way, it 'clicks', and this can have an entirely different effect. In an X-Wing in Rogue Leader, your S-Foils close (the X-Wing's wings come together...) so the ship can fly supa-fast.

The whole atmosphere of the first three movies is recreated flawlessly. The game uses ridiculous amounts of voice from the movies, and actual footage too! I played the first mission, the run on the Death Star... into the trench I went. Three TIEs popped up behind me, I slowed down and wasted them as they flew past. I did this once or twice. Then Darth Vader showed up! I had to slam on the brakes, shoot him like mad, then he'd fly off for a while and come back. As I flew closer to the exhaust point, Ben Kenobi chimed in, "Use the force, Luke.... let go, Luke...". I turned off my targeting computer, just like the movie. General Raikin, again right outta the movie said, "His targeting computer's turned off. Luke, is something wrong?" Luke replies, "No, no, I'm fine." Again... a few TIEs show up behind me, and before I know it, they explode! Han Solo yells, "All right kid, you're all clear! Now let's blow this place!" The exhaust point beckoned and I unleased a photon torpedo. Then... BAM! Footage right out of the movie with the ships drawn in real-time in front of it. An awesome scene that made me feel right smack in the end of Episode IV.

Bottom line, head to Best Buy and play the GameCube. It impressed me a hell of a lot more than the Xbox and it's $100 cheaper. Too bad I won't be able to buy one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home